A small flame

A small flame

if mama ain't happy...

I am an emotional person, which is often a source of mystery to my sweet husband who is my calm, steady opposite. In the early days of our marriage, this contrast between us caused a lot of upheavals in our relationship. And, if I'm going to be brutally honest, my emotional nature was the wind that whipped up a lot of those storms. We've spent the last 15 years learning to harness our differences for the good of our marriage and our family. We definitely don't have it all figured out, but God has been so gracious in maturing each of us and helping us to learn to live with grace toward each other.

I'm thankful to say that I'm still an emotional person. It's how God made me and, properly harnessed, my emotion is a great strength. It's what drives me to live with passion. It's what gives me the desire to invest in others; to climb into the trenches with people and love them right where they're at. It's what gives me the ability to rejoice with people who are rejoicing and weep with people who are weeping. But my emotional nature is only a strength to the extent that I keep it in submission to the truth of scripture.

The saying, 'If mama ain't happy, ain't no body happy' is the stuff of many a comedy script, but in reality it's often no laughing matter. When we as wives fail to keep our emotions firmly embraced by the arms of the Gospel, we can make ourselves and everyone around us pretty miserable! Learning to base our lives on the character of God and the truth revealed in His word, instead of on our fickle emotions, will go a long way in helping us to create haven in our marriages.

More to come... and a little plug for my husband's story of learning how to live with Godly emotions in his book, The Sin of Always Feeling Ok.

No comments: