A small flame

A small flame

Pray for your husband (part 2)

Today I want to discuss praying for our husbands.
At first glance it might not seem like a very important word, that little for.
But can I tell you that it is a huge little word!

For


I want to make sure that I'm praying for my husband, not just about him. At times it can be tempting to pray only about my husband. To turn my prayer times into complaining sessions about him and all the flaws I perceive him to have & all the ways that he is failing to live up to my ideals.

Let me be clear: I believe that there is a place for Godly complaining - lamenting - in our prayer life. A few minutes spent reading the Psalms shows that there is a Godly way to complain that is righteous. Marriage is hard. There are seasons in marriage that break our hearts. And sometimes a lament may be exactly what you need to pour out your heart to God. But I want to be careful to do more than just vent to God about my husband. I want to be able to come to God without a self- serving agenda (God, please make ME happy by fixing HIM ). Instead I want to come to God with a heart that supports my husband by praying for him.

There are a lot of ideas out there of ways to pray for our husbands. A quick online search produces lists of ideas, verses of scripture to use, etc. If you're not quite sure where to start, let me share a few of my favorites:

  • There are a couple of good guides for writing your own lament here and here
 

  • A couple of years ago, my friend Sarah created this prayer journal, Very Great & Precious Promises: 31 days of Praying Scripture Over Your Husband


Each of the 31 days contains a way to pray for your husband - growing in the knowledge of God, walking in his identity in Christ, pursuing faithfulness in marriage, standing firm in spiritual warfare and many more. Each topic is followed by several applicable passages of scripture to help guide your thoughts and prayers. I really like using this resource because it is all scripture. What could be a better guide in my prayer times for my man?


Sarah also included lined journal pages with each day so that as I pray through the book I can write thoughts or specific ways the scripture applies to my prayers at that time. Sarah is in the process of publishing the journal, so if you're interested in purchasing one let me know and I can give you the details.

  • I also like this resource which includes free printable cards. I found the topics for each day to be thoughtful and well-expressed.


Whether you use an existing resource or make your own prayer list, the important thing is that you and I are regularly, purposefully supporting our hubbies in prayer.

No comments: