A small flame

A small flame

creating HAVEN in your marriage



The Love month is just around the corner. Whether you boycott Valentines Day as a Hallmark plot to extort money from harassed couples :-) or you do mushy things like giving your hubby 14 Days of Valentines, you can't escape the extra focus that February puts on love, romance and all things heart-shaped.

So I thought this would be the perfect time to share some of the things I'm thinking about as I pursue my goal of making my marriage a haven.

Research has shown that, "the universal complaint of men is that their wives criticize, complain, nag, rarely compliment or express appreciation, are difficult to satisfy, and basically are not as nice to them as they'd be to a stranger ringing their doorbell at 3:00 a.m." Source

I don't know about you, but I don't want that sentence to describe how my husband feels in our marriage! And I think that, if we are not intentional as wives, we can easily slip into patterns that make our marriage relationships anything but restful sanctuaries. 

The book of Proverbs says, "A wise woman builds her home, but a foolish woman tears it down with her own hands." (Proverbs 14:1) I aspire to be like that wise woman and to do everything in my power to make my marriage a place of refuge.

Whether you have a strong marriage that already has an atmosphere of 'haven' or you find yourself struggling through a difficult season where your marriage is anything but safe and restful, there are things that each of us can do to nurture a sense of refuge, sanctuary & rest with our husbands. These things have little to do with our husbands' behavior and everything to do with living out our identities as Daughters of God.


More thoughts to come...

No comments: