A small flame

A small flame

{blink}


First there was a date, a meal out with my sweetie.
But I'm sorry to say that by the time we got home I was getting sick.
And then sicker.

So. so. sick.

Sick enough that my husband called into work.
(In 4 years with this company, he's never called in sick for himself,
Not even when he should have.)
But this - the worst food poisoning of my life? -
this called for drastic measures.

And we spent the night, him serving me
and me so sick
With my stomach folding itself into a painful origami.

In the morning, my stomach and I declared a shaky truce
and I managed (eventually) a cup of tea and a bit of applesauce.
But instead of moving on to toast maybe,
there was pain so sharp it made me I gasp.
At first I was convinced - I hoped - that it was just the last of the gastro-upset
working itself out of my system.
But eventually I gave in and let myself be driven to the Urgent Care.

The doctor's opinion came pretty quickly and confidently - appendicitis.
So we drove to the hospital and the ER processed me in a quick succession of
consenting nods,
IVs and blood work,
surgeon consults.
And before I knew it I was being whisked off to the ER.

The prospect of general anesthetic (my first) makes me the most nervous,
but they all tell me it will be ok and over before I know it.
So I go, repeating an old friend as the nurse tells me to breathe in the oxygen:

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most high
{breathe}
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty
{breathe}
I will say of the Lord, He is my Refuge
and my Fortress
{breathe}
My God
{breathe}
In Him will I trust. . . . .




And they're right.
It's just a minute before I'm drowsy in recovery
with nurses buzzing around me,
and I'm slowly blinking back to my world.
And after a while I realize I'm still murmuring it,

He shall cover thee with his feathers 
and under his wings shalt thou trust...blink
Thou shalt not be afraid...
Because thou hast made the Lord....my refuge
blink....




The rest of the story (obviously) is that I'm fine.
The surgeon said it was a really good thing we got it when we did.
Modern pain meds are very effective.
And I have a wonderful family, physically and spiritually, who have shouldered the burdens I couldn't carry so I could have time to rest and heal.

He shall call upon me, and I will answer him: 
I will be with him in trouble; 
I will deliver him.

*from Psalm 91, just the way my Grandpa used to read it to me

1 comment:

kgreer said...

Wow Rachel, I must not have been reading your blog around this time. I don't even remember this happening! Did we know?! Sorry you had to go through that, and loved the next post about how Real Men take care of their wives. :^) I've been enjoying going back through your blog again. I hope you'll start writing more often!