A small flame

A small flame

a healthy treat

I've been doing a bit of experimenting with healthier chocolate snacks. You know, for those times when you really want chocolate but don't want to jump entirely off the 'healthy' train. One of the things I've noticed about the kind of recipe I've shared below is that it easily satisfies my chocolate cravings without waking up the 'gimme more' monster that a store-bought chocolate snack does. It's curious to me - my guess is that I have the healthy sugars and fats to thank for that.

Anyhoo... this one wins first prize of all my efforts so far. It's quick & easy to make (less than 10 minutes), and has no processed sugar in it. It even got a 'Yum!' endorsement from my chocolate-loving hubby, which is high praise indeed :)




{Insert clever name here}

Mix:
1/2 cup coconut oil (room temp - needs to be soft enough to work with)
1-3 Tablespoons honey, depending on taste
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder (sift first to eliminate lumps)

When this is well-combined, gently stir in
1/3 cup nuts (I used raw almonds)
1/3 cup dried fruit (I had cranberries on hand, but I can think of lots of other delicious combinations too)

Drop by the spoon-ful into mini cupcake liners.
Refrigerate (or freeze if you're in a hurry to enjoy :) until firm.

Makes 12 little cups of Mmmmm.




No comments: