A small flame

A small flame

a birthday invasion

We are officially into double-digits! In parenting years, that is. As hard as it is for me to believe it, we now have a 10-year-old!


This was Matthew's year to have a family party, which requires much less work on my part! (Our boys have a party with friends every other year, and a family-only party on the in-between years.) But of course I wanted to make sure he had a fun cake. He wanted . . . I bet you can guess . . . a Lego theme. What else is there? By my count, this is my fourth Lego cake, and I'm willing to bet it won't be my last :o)

Specifically, Matthew requested a cake that looked like this cool spaceship tripod walker he has. It was a bit daunting for me to figure out how to translate that into cake at first, but it came together well and I had a blast creating his/my vision.

I kept the cake itself very simple with this fun Lego brick border I crafted out of marshmallow fondant.




I decided to use the mini figures straight out of the Lego set, which saved a ton of time (and looked waaay better than if I'd made them ;o) The spaceship started life as fruity rice krispie treats. A bit of carving and marshmallow fondant later, and viola:






As a fun surprise I made a checkerboard Lego brick cake (I don't have a checkerboard pan, but it turned out to be super-easy to do anyway).








It was a huge hit - lots of ooohs and aaahhs from all my men :o) Matthew has voted the space ship 'the coolest eat-able-est thing EVER!'


Happy Ten, Matthew!


1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow Rachel! That is a complicated cake! Great job. :^)