A small flame

A small flame

Grain-Free Granola

When I was growing up my Mom made granola all the time. It's one of the few cereals we had for breakfast - and it has always been my favorite cereal. In recent months I've stayed away from it, partially to exercise my self-control muscle and partially because I prefer to really limit my consumption of grains.

Recently I started thinking that maybe I could make a grain-free granola of some kind, and nuts seemed the logical choice as an oat substitute. I made my first batch this week and it is delicious! I'm tickled to have found yet another yummy grain-free, gluten-free food to eat. God is so very good to give us the gift of delicious food, isn't he?!

It's a pretty simple recipe.
It starts with nuts, of course. I typically keep raw nuts - almonds mostly - around, but this week I had some roasted, salted nut mix (peanuts, sunflower seeds, pepitas, almonds) in the house that I decided to use. I also threw in some slivered almonds and some walnuts I found in the freezer, the last bits of two bags.


If you use salted nuts, you'll want to rinse them off. Just toss the nuts in a strainer and run clear water over them for a minute. Then let them drip drain. It doesn't matter if they're a bit wet since you'll be baking the granola.


 Once they've drained a bit, buzz the nuts in a food processor. I just used my 'pulse' setting 3 or 4 times. You don't want to make nut butter, just chop the nuts up a bit until they're kind of granola-y size.




 
 

Then for each cup of nuts, stir in:

2 Tbsp applesauce ( I use unsweetened)
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon


 That's it.




 
Just spread the granola in a pan and bake at 250 for 45 minutes or so. Give the nuts a stir every 10 minutes so they roast evenly. Take them out of the oven when they're your favorite shade of granola gold. I like mine fairly dark.

Once they've cooled, add your favorite dried fruits and other add-ins and enjoy





Rachel's Grain-Free Granola

Rinse & drain if necessary, then chop in food processor:
     1 cup total of your choice of nuts

 Stir in:
     2 Tbsp applesauce ( I use unsweetened)
     1 Tbsp honey
     1/4 tsp cinnamon

Spread in a thin layer in a pan. Bake at 250 for 45 minutes or until desired shade of yummy, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool and store airtight.

1 comment:

The family Z said...

Can't wait to try this! Sounds like a perfect complement to homemade yogurt!