A small flame

A small flame

Identity Crisis

Identity's a funny thing isn't it? Not rolling-on-the-floor-laughing funny. Odd 'funny'. I define myself by the strangest things sometimes. And I find myself trying to shrug out of - or downright resisting - the things I ought to be defined by. . .



When I was a kid, I was defined by what my parents did. They were missionaries and I was a missionary kid. Other labels were hard to figure out - on the field, I was too American to really 'fit in', but each furlough I would discover that I was not American enough to fit in there either - but no matter which side of the world I was on, the identity of 'missionary kid' stuck with me.

Nowhere was this more true than during our furlough years! Most Sundays found me sitting awkwardly in yet another new room surrounded by strangers, listening as they buzzed excitedly to each other about their week. Inevitably, the teacher would call for attention and begin the class. And, somewhere not too far into the class would come the dreaded sentences: 'Now, boys and girls, we have someone very special here with us today! We have a {pause for dramatic effect} Real Life Missionary in our class today!' All heads except mine would swivel and eyes would roam the room before settling on my embarrassed-to-be-pointed-out, Missionary Kid face.

It was my brothers who finally came up with a solution to our problem. As the teacher spoke and the other kids began to turn around in their seats, searching for the Real Life novelties, my brothers would do it too. Turning in their seats and craning their necks to search the faces behind them, they would avoid - or at least postpone - being identified as the missionary kids.

And there you have another Real Life MK confession :o)



I laugh about that story now, but all these years and lessons learned later, I still avoid my identity some times. My Father calls me by my name and tells me who I am.

The Word of God Says in Jesus Christ…

I am faithful (Ephesians 1:1)

I am God’s child (John 1:12)

I have been justified (Romans 5:1)

I am Christ’s friend (John 15:15)

I belong to God (1 Corinthians 6:20)

I am a member of Christ’s Body (1 Corinthians 12:27)

I have been established, anointed and sealed by God (2 Corinthians 1:21-22)

I am confident that God will perfect the work He has begun in me (Philippians 1:6)

I am a citizen of heaven (Philippians 3:20)

I am hidden with Christ in God (Colossians 3:3)

I have not been given a spirit of fear, but of power, love and self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7)

I am blessed in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing (Ephesians 1:3)

I am chosen before the creation of the world (Ephesians 1:4, 11)

I am holy and blameless (Ephesians 1:4)

I am adopted as his child (Ephesians 1:5)

I am given God’s glorious grace lavishly and without restriction (Ephesians 1:5,8)

I am forgiven (Ephesians 1:8; Colossians 1:14)

I have purpose (Ephesians 1:9 & 3:11)

I have hope (Ephesians 1:12)

I am included (Ephesians 1:13)

I am sealed with the promised Holy Spirit (Ephesians 1:13)

I am a saint (Ephesians 1:18)

I am salt and light of the earth (Matthew 5:13-14)

I have been chosen and God desires me to bear fruit (John 15:1,5)

I am a personal witness of Jesus Christ (Acts 1:8)

I am a minister of reconciliation (2 Corinthians 5:17-20)

I am alive with Christ (Ephesians 2:5)

I am raised up with Christ (Ephesians 2:6; Colossians 2:12)

I am seated with Christ in the heavenly realms (Ephesians 2:6)

God has expressed His kindness to me (Ephesians 2:7)

I am God’s workmanship (Ephesians 2:10)

I have been brought near to God through Christ’s blood (Ephesians 2:13)

I have peace (Ephesians 2:14)

I have access to the Father (Ephesians 2:18)

I am a member of God’s household (Ephesians 2:19)

I am secure (Ephesians 2:20)

I am a holy temple (Ephesians 2:21; 1 Corinthians 6:19)

I am a dwelling for the Holy Spirit (Ephesians 2:22)

God’s power works through me (Ephesians 3:7)

I can approach God with freedom and confidence (Ephesians 3:12)

I know there is a purpose for my sufferings (Ephesians 3:13)

I can grasp how wide, long, high and deep Christ’s love is (Ephesians 3:18)

I am completed by God (Ephesians 3:19)

I can bring glory to God (Ephesians 3:21)

I have been called (Ephesians 4:1; 2 Timothy 1:9)

I can be humble, gentle, patient and lovingly tolerant of others (Ephesians 4:2)

I can mature spiritually (Ephesians 4:15)

I can have a new attitude and a new lifestyle (Ephesians 4:21-32)

I can be kind and compassionate to others (Ephesians 4:32)

I can forgive others (Ephesians 4:32)

I can understand what God’s will is (Ephesians 5:17)

I can give thanks for everything (Ephesians 5:20)

I can honor God through marriage (Ephesians 5:22-33)

I can parent my children with composure (Ephesians 6:4)

I can be strong (Ephesians 6:10)

I have God’s power (Ephesians 6:10)

I can stand firm in the day of evil (Ephesians 6:13)

I am dead to sin (Romans 1:12)

I am not alone (Hebrews 13:5)

I am growing (Colossians 2:7)

I am His disciple (John 13:15)

I am prayed for by Jesus Christ (John 17:20-23)

I am united with other believers (John 17:20-23)

I possess the mind of Christ (I Corinthians 2:16)

I am promised eternal life (John 6:47)

I am promised a full life (John 10:10)

I am victorious (I John 5:4)

My heart and mind is protected with God’s peace (Philippians 4:7)

I am chosen and dearly loved (Colossians 3:12)

I am blameless (I Corinthians 1:8)

I am set free (Romans 8:2; John 8:32)

I am crucified with Christ (Galatians 2:20)

I am a light in the world (Matthew 5:14)

I am more than a conqueror (Romans 8:37)

I am the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21)

I am safe (I John 5:18)

I am part of God’s kingdom (Revelation 1:6)

I am healed from sin (I Peter 2:24)

I am no longer condemned (Romans 8:1, 2)

I am not helpless (Philippians 4:13)

I am overcoming (I John 4:4)

I am persevering (Philippians 3:14)

I am protected (John 10:28)

I am born again (I Peter 1:23)

I am a new creation (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I am delivered (Colossians 1:13)

I am qualified to share in His inheritance (Colossians 1:12)

I am victorious (1 Corinthians 15:57)

{list source}


But instead of moving toward him and exulting in the identity He gives me, I squirm to avoid it and focus instead on other things I think really define me. 'Who? Me? Nope I'm the gal who . . . yelled at her kids. . . wears a size. . . doesn't eat gluten, grain or sugar . . . fails to love others well . . .has a messy house . . . '

But my Abba just keeps reminding me of who I truly am. I really don't know why I fight it because, of course, His identity for me is always - always - better than the things I pick to be defined by. So I'm learning --s--l--o--w--l--y-- to accept who He says I am. And the identity He gives me changes everything!


{Loving this song right now}







.

No comments: