A small flame

A small flame

when the new year's off and running





How do you set your goals for the new year? I used to make the requisite list of 'New Year's Resolutions' that, predictably, ended up going out the window after just a few weeks. I've discovered that what works best for me is to set one, over-arching theme for my year. A main focus that my smaller, individual goals fit into and that I can meditate on all year long. I've found that I end my year with a feeling of accomplishment and gratitude as I look back over the past 12 months and see how God has used that year's theme in the things he has done in and through me.

For three years now I've named my new year. First came the year of Searching for Beauty and then the year of Embracing Every Moment.


This year, my goals can be summarized by a list of people I want to love better: my family, my friends, my church, my unsaved neighbors. Not a fuzzy, warm feeling of 'love', but a lived-out love. An intentional love that walks itself out in purposeful strides toward others.


I really like this definition of love that I read recently: Love is a desire for, and a delight in, the well being of the one loved leading to active and self-sacrificing efforts on their behalf.



So, with all that in my mind & heart, I've named 2012 the year of Loving with My Shoes On.



Do you have a word for your year? What do you want to accomplish for God? What are you praying that God will accomplish in you?






.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Love your title for this year. Great phrase!

isshinryu_mom said...

I love it.... and love your picture too! I'm doing the "OneWord365" thing and focusing on Rejoicing. Rejoicing through the good and the not-so-good parts of life, regardless! Best wishes as you LOVE with your shoes on this year!