A small flame

A small flame

Lie: But it's the holidays!

How was your Thanksgiving? Ours was great. And gluten-free :o) On Thanksgiving day we hosted another family, friends from The Gambia. They brought a traditional African dish to share, Peanut Butter Stew, and we had a really nice time. Then on Saturday we attended a Thanksgiving fellowship meal hosted by the Chinese group at our church. They had traditional American fixin's alongside some delicious Chinese food (which probably wasn't gluten-free :o). That was a lot of fun too, even though I can't make any sense of Mandarin.

And I am pleased to say that I did well with my eating. I did eat some grain and even a bit of sugar, but I did not go overboard on anything. And I came away from the weekend more determined than ever to not make this holiday season all about what I'm putting in my mouth.


A couple of weeks before Thanksgiving, this was in our Sunday paper:





And it struck me as a sad commentary on the idolatrous bent of my heart toward food. How very often have I put my trust in pie? Or, more accurately, chocolate? Trusting the well-known candy bar's wrapper that shouts that it 'Satisfies'.


Last week I saw someone holding a McD's cup. The Christmas version, apparently. Have you seen it? It wasn't so much the festive red graphics but the slogan that caught my eye: Celebrate Season's Cravings. And it shocked me to see it in writing, but how often have I done exactly that? Made the holiday season a reason to indulge in too much food. Like somehow the stretch of calendar between Thanksgiving (or even Halloween) and New Year's means I can turn off my 'do-right-er' and just eat whatever I want whenever I want to.


This year, I'm looking forward to celebrating the season in freedom. To giving thanks to God alone instead of dividing my worship between Him and food . To celebrating the giving of God's ultimate gift in the advent of Christ without the distraction of constant munching.


Have you thought about this? How can you make your Christmas season less about food?




.

No comments: