A small flame

A small flame

Food-free Friday: the war room

Can I tell you something about this food versus God thing? I'm doing well. Really well. It has not been effortless, but it has been very do-able. Even as I type that I'm shaking my head in wonder. To have come through as many battles and failed as many times as I have in the past, and now to be experiencing so much victory blows my mind. I can't fully explain it, but I know for sure that all the credit goes to God!


I've found it really helpful to write the 'Lie:' posts. There's something empowering about getting the deception out there that weakens its' power to deceive. I hope something I've shared has been helpful to you in recognizing the lies the Deceiver whispers into your own battle.


I love using the imagery of war to think about this journey. I appreciate what Ed Welch has written along those lines:

The only possible attitude toward out-of-control desires is a declaration of all-out war. Actually, the war has been declared. The enemy has already made a preemptive strike; sinful desires already "war against your soul" (I Peter 2:11) We simply need to be awakened by faith to engage in a counterattack.

The problem is that as Christians, we often forget that we are in a war. Or worse, we don't even know that there is a war. Unlike most warfare, where at least we know that there is an enemy somewhere, spiritual warfare tends to be especially covert. No one is getting shot and many people. . . seem to be managing their lives fairly well. It all looks like business as usual. Add to this the fact that we actually like the enemy, and it is easy to understand why many of us act as though we were on vacation. (Addictions: a Banquet in the Grave, pp 226-227)


I've been thinking a lot about the . . .I'm not sure what to call them - weapons? strategies? - things that I'm finding helpful in my battle to chose God over food. I'm realizing that I see more victory in my battles when I have a plan to follow & strategies to defeat the tempter's lies and re-work my own harmful habits and thought patterns. Anyway, I think I'm going to do some blogging about some things that have been helpful to me over the next few weeks.


Can you relate to the idea of weapons and strategies in your spiritual struggles? What have you found helpful? Or not helpful?

No comments: