A small flame

A small flame

songs we sing over coffee

Yesterday I have coffee with a new friend and we talk.
I tell her my story and she tells me hers,
and we find out that we sing similar songs.

We talk about God and the Gospel;
about loving other people
and guarding our hearts against the bitterness that comes
when they betray us,
and. . . .well, lots of stuff ;o)





Today I read this psalm
and my heart sings along :

7 I will rejoice and be glad in your steadfast love,
because you have seen my affliction;
you have known the distress of my soul,
8and you have not delivered me into the hand of the enemy;
you have set my feet in a broad place.

21Blessed be the LORD,
for he has wondrously shown his steadfast love to me
when I was in a besieged city.
22I had said in my alarm,
"I am cut off from your sight."
But you heard the voice of my pleas for mercy
when I cried to you for help.

23Love the LORD, all you his saints!
The LORD preserves the faithful
but abundantly repays the one who acts in pride.
24Be strong, and let your heart take courage,
all you who wait for the LORD!

-from Psalm 31





"The dominant characteristic of an authentic spiritual life is the gratitude that flows from trust—not only for all the gifts that I receive from God, but gratitude for all the suffering. Because in that purifying experience, suffering has often been the shortest path to intimacy with God." - Brennan Manning

No comments: