A small flame

A small flame

More Grain-Free Pizza Adventures

A friend recently tagged me on pinterest with a recipe for cauliflower pizza crust.

Cauliflower.

I'm becomming convinced that the stuff is a grain-free girl's best friend ;o)

Still, cauliflower pizza crust sounded a bit scary.


BUT.....

Blogger is acting up, so
imagine there's a picture of a yummy slice of pizza here ;o)



I made it tonight and it was AMAZING!

Great taste, the right consistency, and lighter than the almond flour crust I typically make.


I used a recipe (found here) that claims to be the 'original' cauliflower pizza crust, but I made a few modifications after I read through the comments on the site.


Cauliflower. Who knew?




Cauliflower Pizza Crust

TO PREPARE CAULIFLOWER:

Steam 1 heaping cup cauliflower florets for 10 minutes (fresh) or according to package directions
(frozen).

When cooled enough to handle, rice the cauliflower. You can do this by grating the cauliflower or (the quick & easy way) buzzing it in the food processor. Just be careful not to mash it. You definitely want that 'rice' consistency.

Squeeze as much of the excess water as possible out of the cauliflower. The easiest way to do this is to put the cauliflower in a square of cheese cloth & squeeze. I got a LOT of water out!


TO MAKE CRUST:

In a medium bowl, combine:

riced, squeezed cauliflower
1 egg
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese

Press the cauliflower mixture onto a cookie sheet that is well-sprayed with non-stick spray to form a 8-9 inch circle.

Bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes (12 was plenty for me!).

Remove pan from oven & immediately run a spatula around under the crust to loosen it from the pan. A lot of people complained that the crust had still been soggy in the middle, so I flipped the crust over and stuck it back into the oven for another 5 minutes. Mine was NOT soggy.

Top the crust with sauce & toppings of your choice.

Put under the broiler just until cheese is melted.



You'll truly never guess that it's cauliflower!!



.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

I'm going to try it! The pizza sounds delicious. I may jump on this bean-diet bandwagon yet! :-) Thanks for posting the recipe with your changes.