A small flame

A small flame

Lie: 'You'll Never be Free'



If there is one thing that I have felt repeated defeat in it would be the area of what I eat. Food is a fickle friend to me. It lures me with its promise of smooth, sugary comfort or crunchy, salty excitement, but the party in my mouth is short-lived compared to the guilt I feel later for having given in - again - or the frustration I feel when my favorite pair of pants gets tighter. Over the years I have gone on repeated diets, only to have each and every one of them end in failure and a pile of chocolate chip cookies.


So when I read this in Made to Crave, my heart shouted a loud 'Amen!'

'Food isn't sinful. But when food is what Satan holds up in front of you and says 'You'll never be free from this battle. You will always bounce from feeling deprived when you're dieting to feeling guilty when you're splurging. Victory isn't possible. You aren't capable of self-control with food,' we must see that its inappropriate consumption can be his lure to draw our hearts into a place of defeat.' (Made to Crave pp 61)


I'm tellin' ya - Lysa writes words that I've heard in my head for soooo long. Maybe we are twins separated at birth! ;o)


Now I don't know if I can come to a place where I have consistent 'victory' over this food thing. I've heard those words of certain defeat hissed into my heart and mind for a looong time. And I've got a pretty well-worn groove in the direction of food, food and more food.

I also know that it is our areas of weakness that God often uses to keep us close to (and dependent upon) him. But whether or not I get decisive 'victory' out of this process, I'm taking the journey. . . and I'm pretty sure that, no matter what else happens, I'm going to learn more about God and see more clearly how I relate to him than I do now.


That makes the journey worth taking!






.

3 comments:

Anna Beth said...

Thanks for posting this. It is something I needed to hear. I have told myself that lie over and over again too.

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing that, Anna Beth!

Jenni said...

hmmm.... it would be easier if we could just stop eating! (I know that's another post, but I'm reading backwards!) But, anyway, I appreciate your thoughts on this subject. I really need to keep food in it's place.