A small flame

A small flame

how to become deaf, dumb and blind

.


Phil & I are currently part of a discipleship class at church on addictions. The class is going through the book 'Addictions - a Banquet in the Grave' by Ed Welch. This book has sat on one of our many book shelves for a long time, but I don't think I've ever read it.

It is so good!

Several of the people taking the class have been addicted to drugs or alcohol in the past, and many of them still have friends or family who are enslaved by similar addictions. I don't fit in either category, but I am finding the book extremely practical in my own fight to choose God over food. In fact, this book is an ought-to-read for every believer because addiction is, at it's heart, idolatry. And we all have idols, don't we?

This passage was mentioned in the study last week and I don't ever think I've really noticed it before. (Isn't it funny how that happens?) I was intrigued, so I looked it up. . . and all I could say was 'Wow! Wow! WOW!'

Idols are silver and gold,
made by the hands of men.
They have mouths, but cannot speak,
eyes, but they cannot see;
they have ears, but cannot hear,
noses, but they cannot smell;
they have hands, but cannot feel,
feet, but they cannot walk;
nor can they utter a sound with their throats.
Those who make them will be like them,
and so will all who trust in them.

Psalm 115: 4-8

Wow.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to become deaf, dumb, blind, utterly senseless & irrational to my own sin and to my Father-God!

Wow.



.

No comments: