A small flame

A small flame

Grain-Free 'Rice'

I really enjoy rice. When my nutritionist advised me to spend a couple of months earlier this year eating grain-free, I experimented with using cauliflower as a rice substitute. I read a couple of ideas online and tried them, but they weren't very good. One was to leave the cauliflower raw and chop it up finely. I didn't like this at all - it was too crunchy and the temperature wasn't right. I also tried cooked cauliflower but that wasn't right either. It was too soft. *sigh*


I have recently made the decision to go grain-free again, largely for spiritual reasons. I just think it's the best thing right now for my journey towards greater self-control. This past weekend, the family was having one of our favorites - a tomato and beef stroganoff over rice - and the stroganoff was so soupy that it really needed a base. Like rice. What to do?


I decided to try preparing the cauliflower like I do for my grain-free pasta salads and it worked great! I even stir-fried the leftovers today for lunch and again, it was a success. Hooray for a yummy rice substitute!




Cauli-Rice

1. Cut cauliflower into small to medium sized florets.

2. Put in a saucepan with some water (how much depends on how much cauliflower, but I didn't put enough to cover the veg)

3. Bring the water to a boil and let it boil for 1 minute.

4. Cover the pan and turn off the heat. (I have an electric stove so I moved the pan off of the burner too) Let it sit for 3-4 minutes and then drain.

5. Use a potato masher to break up the veg. The cauliflower should not be so soft that it mashes - you're going for little granules like rice. Season and serve as you would rice.

No comments: