I have recently made the decision to go grain-free again, largely for spiritual reasons. I just think it's the best thing right now for my journey towards greater self-control. This past weekend, the family was having one of our favorites - a tomato and beef stroganoff over rice - and the stroganoff was so soupy that it really needed a base. Like rice. What to do?
I decided to try preparing the cauliflower like I do for my grain-free pasta salads and it worked great! I even stir-fried the leftovers today for lunch and again, it was a success. Hooray for a yummy rice substitute!
1. Cut cauliflower into small to medium sized florets.
2. Put in a saucepan with some water (how much depends on how much cauliflower, but I didn't put enough to cover the veg)
3. Bring the water to a boil and let it boil for 1 minute.
4. Cover the pan and turn off the heat. (I have an electric stove so I moved the pan off of the burner too) Let it sit for 3-4 minutes and then drain.
5. Use a potato masher to break up the veg. The cauliflower should not be so soft that it mashes - you're going for little granules like rice. Season and serve as you would rice.