A small flame

A small flame

But it's just food. . . right? - Part 2

The battle between food and God is important to me because it is a battle for self-control.

Again, Lysa Terkeurst:
'If I was honest, my issue was plain and simple - a lack of self-control. I could sugar-coat it and justify it all day long, but the truth was I didn't have a weight problem; I had a spiritual problem. I depended on food for comfort more than I depended on God.' {Made to Crave, pp 89)

Ouch!

and Yep! ;o)

It might seem like having an extra desert at the church potluck or downing a bowl of M&Ms in record time isn't that big of a deal. I've convinced myself of that on more than one occasion! But, according to this verse that's a false perception:

A man without self-control is like a city broken into and left without walls. {Proverbs 25:28}


I think Jerry Bridges in his book Respectable Sins was the first one to call my attention to the ramifications of this verse.

In the same way that a city without walls was vulnerable to an invading army, so a person without self-control is vulnerable to all kinds of temptations. . . A lack of self-control may well be one of our more 'respectable' sins. And because we tolerate this, we become more vulnerable to other sins.' (Respectable Sins, pp 109-110)

Either I have self control or I don't. I can't pick and choose the areas I will lack self-control in, no matter how often I tell myself that I can! If I don't take the issue of food seriously; if I don't learn to exercise self-control in what I eat, then I leave myself open to being defeated by other, even more destructive sins.



That's pretty serious stuff!



.

3 comments:

Ronnica said...

Just what I needed to read today. I just wish growing in self-control was as easy as taking a pill!

Jenni said...

God's been working on me in the area of self-control lately. Thanks for posting your insights! It's an encouragement to me in my journey toward self-control in many areas, including food.

Rachel said...

Thanks for sharing, ladies! It means a lot to have others say that they're walking a similar path!