A small flame

A small flame

Aussie, Aussie, Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!

One of the things I have 'always' wanted to do is spend part of a school year studying about Australia with the boys. Since Phil & I lived there when the biggies were born, both of them have Australian citizenship. They know that and they know that Granny & Grandpa still live there, but that's about the extent of their knowledge of Australia. I looked around quite a bit last year but I couldn't find any curriculum that matched the vision I had in my head. So this past summer I wrote a 15-week unit study on Australia. I had a BLAST writing it, learned things I didn't know and even taught Phil a few facts about Australia. And the school year hadn't even started ;o) We're 4 weeks in to our school year now (working on our 5th), and it has been a fun study.

Each week's lesson includes a hands-on activity or two which the boys are having fun with.... well, OK, I am too ;o) Here's a bit of what we've done so far:


Learned about the Aborigines & created our own dot art






. . . on 'bark' which we made ourselves.

















:: the finished product ::











Studied Captain Cook's explorations of Australia & drew our own maps




by Daniel






by Matthew




Read about the first British settlers, including the first preacher Richard Johnson (recruited by William Wilberforce and John Newton), who sailed for 36 weeks (!!!!!) to reach Australia





'First Sermon on Australian Soil' by Matthew






'First Sermon on Australian Soil' by Daniel




Read about Sydney and created our own winning designs for the Sydney Opera House. . . let me tell you - if these boys had designed it you wouldn't have been stuck with boring white 'sails' ;o)



'Hero Factory' by Daniel






'Floating Lego Castle' by Matthew




Studied the Australian flag & designed our own flag that followed the rules for the original flag-design competition. . . well, sorta followed them, anyway ;o)




by Matthew






by Daniel


And that's just the first four weeks . . . ;o)





.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Oh, I missed this post!
Love that Daniel did a ninja for his aborigine art! This looks like a lot of fun, wish I was there to do the crafts with you (and learn those new facts :^)).
Oh weird...the visual verification box wasn't showing up for me so I clicked on the little handicapped sign to read what it was saying...ever done that? Very strange!