A small flame

A small flame

Tuesday Tidbits



How is it that a week can both creep and fly by? However it happens, we survived our first week of summer school. More importantly, Mama did not run away in the course of the week. Week 2, here we come!

We have actually been very blessed this round because the 4th of July gave Phil a day off of school. A couple of other days are test days, and while he has to study and take the test that day, the test is done online from home, so the day is a bit more flexible. Phil always gets pretty exhausted during these summer school sessions - prayers for endurance greatly appreciated!







In other news, I am trying my hand at couponing. Again. We have always lived very frugally, but I do not regularly use coupons. I buy much of what our family needs at Aldi and shop good sales at other stores, but with prices everywhere on the rise and my boys eating more than ever {how is that possible?!}, I want to have another go at couponing. I have tried a few times in the past, but for some reason I end up confused and feeling like it takes more time than I have to give it. This time, I think I've found a system that takes very little time to work and will fit the way I do our family's shopping & cooking. In the past 2 weeks since I've started, I have bought several items for pennies on the dollar and have gotten several more for free, so I'm motivated to keep doing it. I'll let you know how it goes ;o)







I had a realization recently that Thomas hasn't ever played with play dough. Shocking! The biggies loved to play with it when they were little, but they eventually outgrew it, and Thomas wasn't ready for it yet, so I threw it away. I did have the presence of mind to keep the tools and gadgets we had accumulated for using with the play dough, and we actually moved them south when we came....in a box I promptly forgot about. ;o) Anyway, a few days ago, I picked up some tubs of play dough and gave Thomas a crash course in squishy fun. He is having a blast with it, and at least 1 big brother has joined in the fun too. {Daniel even made me a bowl of bright green cereal which, he assured me, was gluten-free. ;o) }







One of the great things about summer is that I have more time to read. During the school year, I read regularly, but I really only have time to read 'non fluff' books - counseling, Christian growth, etc. Summer gives me the opportunity to read some just-for-fun books. Right now I'm reading a novel about how an entire little town is impacted by Amish friendship bread. {It's hard to describe, and not as corny as it sounds when I re-read that sentence ;o) } Remember the Friendship Bread craze? It's gotten me thinking that maybe I should bake some again. I actually found a couple of links that seem helpful. This one tells you how to make your own starter. *Gasp!* And here's one that tells how to manage the starter so you don't end up with bags of the stuff to give away every 10 days. You basically add less ingredient to the starter during the 10-day process and bake all but 1 cup of the dough {starter for yourself} on baking day. Works for me! Though if you're local and you're just dying for some starter, let me know .....





..... happy tuesday




.

2 comments:

Crazy Mom said...

when you start baking up your friendship bread, remember that it freezes BEAUTIFULLY! and you can experiment with different pudding flavors like chocolate, and different kinds of chips like peanut butter, butterscoth, etc. yummy stuff! :)

Rachel said...

Thanks! I thought I remembered that I froze it & it was fine. Do you remember if we froze the starter too? I've had fun remembering the 'good old days' and all the ways we experimented with making it. Fun memories ;o)