A small flame

A small flame

a new prayer for old pain




Enemies.
It's something I don't like to admit.
Even to myself.

That 'someone' I struggle to forgive.
And, some days, just can't.

Or the person who, despite my best efforts, still dislikes me intensely.
And says so.
But not to my face.


Neither one makes for beauty. Or warm fuzzies.
Neither seems to fit the perfect picture of Christian virtue, does it?


But, really, 'who hasn’t been cheated on, talked down, lied about, pierced right through and left heart-broken on some beaten-down back road?'


Got enemies?
If your hand is raised too, then maybe you too will love this prayer that Ann wrote::

Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them.

Enemies have driven me into your embrace more than friends have.

Enemies have loosed me from earth more than friends have…

Enemies have made me a hunted animal, finding safer shelter than an unhunted animal does.


I found safest sanctuary in You…may too my enemies-made-grace.

I found greatest grace in You… may my enemies-made-grace find Your generous grace alive and radical in me.

I found fullest forgiveness in You… may my enemies-made-grace find faith and freedom in You and Your forgiveness working surprising ways in me.


The longer I walk with you, Lord, I find I have no enemies: only your gift of chisels etching me deep.

Bless my enemies, O Lord. Even I bless them and do not curse them.




Join me in praying an enemy into grace?


.

No comments: