A small flame

A small flame

Gluten-Free Condensed Soup

One of the things I have been staying away from is condensed soup {Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken, etc} because it contains grain/gluten which I'm supposed to be avoiding. I found a couple of condensed soup substitutes and one in particular that I really like. It's based this recipe here, but I use my homemade garbanzo bean flour in place of the gluten-free flour which contains grain.



Gluten-Free Condensed Soup Mix

2 1/3 cups Dry Non-Instant Powdered Milk {I keep this on hand all the time to use in cooking because it's cheaper than using 'real' milk and, in most things, you can't tell the difference}

1 cup chickpea flour

1 cup Butter or margarine

I just dump everything into my food processor, pulse it three or four times and it's done. Easy, huh?

I keep this in an airtight container in my fridge so I have it on hand when I'm making a meal that calls for a can of soup.



To Use This - to make the equivalent of 1 can of condensed Cream of {Whatever} Soup:::

In a sauce pan {or I like to use a non-stick frying pan}, combine:

1 cup of the gluten-free soup mix

3/4 cup liquid {water works fine for all types of soup. Or, for mushroom soup you can use liquid from a can of mushrooms; for chicken soup you can use chicken broth, etc.}

1/4 tsp onion powder

Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens (this goes pretty fast, so do not walk away).

When mixture is thickened, stir in 1 Tbsp finely chopped mushrooms {fresh or canned}, cooked chicken, celery, etc, depending on the type of soup you're making.

I usually make cream of mushroom soup and I think it tastes great - the chickpea flour gives it a bit of a nutty flavor that is delicious. The meals I use it in always get rave reviews from my men ;O)




1 comment:

laura said...

Hey Rachel, just saw this gluten-free pizza crust recipe and thought of you!

http://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2011/03/gluten-free-flourless-pizza-with-pears-candied-bacon-and-caramelized-onions.html

You can use any toppings that you want, but the crust sounds amazing!!

Have a good weekend!