A small flame

A small flame

Grain-and-Gluten-Free... and Nearly Normal


I've been surprised how easy this gluten-free thing has been for me so far. Part of it, I'm sure, is thanks to the supplements I've been taking.... but that's another post. And, I have no doubt, part of it is just a grace-gift from God. :O)

That said, I'm nearly a month into it and there are times when I just want to eat something 'bready'. It's not a craving - I just miss the 'normal'. So this week I decided to try making pancakes, gluten-free, grain-free style. I started with my regular pancake recipe and went from there. I wasn't sure if it would be good or just a mess.

But they were great! So yummy! They rose up a little bit, just like regular pancakes and I didn't even notice a 'chick-pea' flavor. Hooray for some normal! ;o)


Rachel's Nearly Normal Pancakes

Mix & let sit:

1/2 cup milk

1 T vinegar or lemon juice


Stir or sift together:

1/2 cup chickpea flour

1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar {*I'll probably leave this out next time - it makes the pancakes a bit sweet, but I don't think they really need it.}
dash of salt


Mix into dry ingredients:
1 egg
1T oil (I used canola)
the milk & vinegar

Cook as you would regular pancakes.

This batter wasn't super runny, though it was a bit thinner than regular pancakes. I found that having the pan well-heated kept the batter from running to far because it couldn't spread out as far before it began to cook.




.

No comments: