A small flame

A small flame

Gluten-Free Birthday

The boys have been pondering my impending birthday for several weeks and worrying aloud about what would happen because I can't eat cake right now. {Which, more to the point, means I won't make it for them to eat either ;o) }

In my gluten-free ramblings, I had found several variations of a recipe for Flour-less Cake.... interesting. I decided to go with this recipe for Flour-less Chocolate Mocha Cake. {The one with the deceptively gorgeous picture. . . but I digress ;o) }

I used semi-sweet chocolate chips for the chocolate and substituted coffee for the Kahlua the recipe called for. I made a double recipe so I would have 2 layers, but baking it was an adventure! The recipe says 'Bake 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.' Riiight. One layer tested done, but when I had let it cool & tried to take it out of the pan, it didn't really seem quite done and it broke into several pieces. The second layer baked for over an hour and the toothpick still wasn't coming out clean. That one also fell apart when I tried to take it out of the pan.






In the end, I pieced the first layer together on a plate and then mixed some left-over chocolate chips with a bit of boiling water to make a glaze & poured it over the cracks. Then I pieced together the second layer on top of the first layer & repeated the glaze-mortar process. When the chocolate cooled & hardened, it definitely helped to hold the pieces together.






To cover the flaws on this puzzle cake, I mixed 3T of peanut butter into 8 oz of Cool Whip and frosted the cake with it. I decorated the cake with chopped Snickers candy bars. The finished product looked pretty good (especially for having started out in pieces!) and it tasted amazing. The texture was brownie-like, the hint of peanut butter in the frosting was just right and I loved the light consistency of the Cool Whip. Phil commented over and over how delicious it was. {I think he was a bit apprehensive when I told him I was making a flour-less birthday cake, but don't tell him I said so ;O) }

Now it wasn't fat-free or sugar-free, but it was grain-free and gluten-free which is what I need right now. And, hey, a girl's only gets older once a year, right?



Sweet birthday success!






.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Not sure I am going to try the flourless cake, but the frosting sounds yummy! I believe I will try it tomorrow. BTW, strawberries are on and should be good the week after Easter. !!