A small flame

A small flame

Gluten-Free Pizza

.



I decided my first baking adventure with my garbanzo bean flour would be pizza. There are a number of gluten-free pizza crust recipes out there, but most of them use flours made from grains {rice flour, tapioca flour, etc}. Since I'm grain-free right now, I had to come up with something else.

I decided to try half of this recipe first.... with some modifications to fit what I already had in the house:

1/2 Tablespoon yeast
1/3c garbanzo bean flour
1/4c almond flour
1Tablespoon dry milk powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp unflavored Gelatin
1/2 tsp Italian Herb Seasoning
1/3c warm water
1 /4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cider vinegar

Blend all ingredients well. Put onto pan coated with cooking spray & sprinkled extra flour onto the dough, then pat dough on to pan. Bake at 425 for 10 min. Remove from oven, top with favorite toppings, then bake for another 20-25 min.

*****
The crust mixed up easily and I patted it into a circle about 6" round and a quarter-inch thick.

The next obstacle was that I can't have pizza sauce right now {tomato is a nightshade veggie}. Then I remembered this yummy-looking recipe from P. W*man {except I substituted turkey bacon for the prosciutto}. No sauce! Ding-ding! We have a winner!






The finished product looked & tasted good.
Pretty, huh?



Final observations:

* The crust held together well - crisp on the bottom but still soft (kinda doughy, but not in an obnoxious way) in the middle.

* Next time I might leave the Italian herbs out of the crust, or at least put in less - I felt like the herb flavor over-powered the toppings.

* Also, I'm not sure why there was yeast in the recipe 'cause it didn't' seem like it had risen at all....maybe it would have risen more if I hadn't made the other substitutions ;o)



In all, I say not bad for my first try, though I think I'll try other crust recipes to see what they're like.




.

No comments: