A small flame

A small flame

Gluten Free DIY

.


So, I am venturing into the world of gluten-free and grain free..... If you know me, you can probably guess that I think this is a great opportunity for some do-it-myself-ness ;o). I'm eating mostly protein & veggies, an occasional fruit, but I wanted to try my hand at using some grain-free 'flours' too. I bought some almond flour {nearly fainted at the price}, but decided to try making my own garbanzo bean flour.







A can of chickpeas seems fairly inexpensive (I paid 85 cents each) - the main issue of course is to get the chickpeas dry before grinding them. I read about a couple of different ways and decided to try both ways to see which I liked better.


The first way {which I read about here} is to just leave the drained, rinsed chickpeas on a plate on the counter to air dry. The instructions said to leave them overnight, but I actually left them for a day and a half, because they still seemed pretty damp after an overnight. After a day and a half, they were definitely drying out, but were still soft enough that I could push my fingernail into them. I buzzed them in my food processor, then sifted to get out the 'flour', then re-processed the bigger bits.

After several times of processing and sifting, I ended up with one cup of 'flour' and maybe 1/3 cup of bits that were too tiny to be caught in the blade, but too large to go in the flour. The main thing I observed about this flour is that it had a heavy, damp-ish texture. It was not a paste - it was definitely a flour - but I could just tell that it was a bit damp. {I decided to dry it in a low-temp oven for a few minutes, which resulted in it condensing to about 1/2 cup, so definitely moisture there.}





flour from the air-dried g. beans


The second way I dried the garbanzo beans was to spread them on a pan & bake them for a couple of hours at 250. This way made them much drier - very crunchy to eat - and much noisier to process {Thomas ran for cover ;o) }. I started processing them in the food processor again, but ended up finishing them in the blender because my food processor is pretty big and after a few times there just wasn't enough volume to process efficiently. Again the buzz-and-sift process several times. The flour from this batch was a bit finer and the end result was 1/2 cup of flour and 1 Tablespoon of 'bits'





flour from the oven-dried g. beans


My conclusions about this experiment:

(1) making garbanzo bean flour is relatively simple, though a bit time-consuming

(2) it's definitely better to dry the chickpeas out in the oven because they get much drier and make a better flour.

(3) making flour this way may not be cost-effective, unless I can find cheaper garbanzo beans. One can of the chickpeas makes about 1/2 cup of flour. Since I paid $.85 for each can, that comes to $1.70 per cup - if my figuring is correct, that's almost $6 a pound!

(4) if I decide to do this again, it would be a better use of time & energy to make several cans at a time, instead of just one ;O)





.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

they sell dried beans ...just grind in no time at all 1 lb bag 1.00

karanne said...

I used dried red and white beans grind in blender add baking soda and 2 eggs with water...seasonings to taste...yummy loaf of nutty flavored bread