A small flame

A small flame

How to fill a new year's empty pages

.


Last year was the year of beauty. Looking back, I am amazed at how many aspects of my journey in 2010 are embodied by that theme. I don't think there are words to tell you just how healing it was to spend my year searching for beauty!

This is the first time that I can remember {which, I admit, doesn't mean as much as it used to ;o} that I have ended a year feeling that I successfully accomplished my 'resolutions' for that year. I think maybe it's because all of my goals focused around a central, bigger goal. I've given a lot of thought, as I'm sure most of you have, to what I want to accomplish in this new year. To what my theme for 2011 should be. Most of my specific goals involve aspects of walking out the things I have been learning in 2010; growing stronger in aspects of my faith-relationship, making more progress in my emotional and spiritual healing, and training my eyes to better see the beauty that is all around me.





I've decided that my theme for this year is being present in each moment. I have realized that so often I am not fully present in the 'now' of my days because I'm processing things from moments past or thinking about what I've got to do in moments still to come. For example, I think part of my impatience with my kiddos comes from the fact that I'm so busy thinking about all the things I need to do next. With my eyes focused on that to-do list, I feel urgency to get them to hurry up & do whatever-it-is so that I can move on to the next thing. Don't misunderstand: I think that processing the past can be healthy, and planning for things I still need to accomplish is necessary, but I've got a feeling that I miss a lot of precious gifts because I'm not engaged enough in the moment to see them.

I've already been working on being fully present in each moment this month and can see it unfolding in so many ways. There has been more laughter, more cuddling, more beauty-rich moments. I'm so blessed!



Drop me a note - I'd love to hear about what you hope to accomplish or focus on in 2011.




.

No comments: