A small flame

A small flame

Of destiny and schemes

.

Since moving to NC and entering the world of Southern Baptists, I have discovered the music of Keith & Kristyn Getty. Wow do they have some wonderful songs! Turns out, this song that I have loved for years is theirs. In fact, we sang it at their concert last week, and let me tell you that there is nothing quite as powerful as singing In Christ Alone with the Gettys and their band!







We sang it again in church today, and both times I've sung it in the past week the same phrase has jumped out at me.


No guilt in life, no fear in death,
This is the power of Christ in me;
From life's first cry to final breath.
Jesus commands my destiny.
No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.

This verse chokes me up every time! I know what it's like to have my life up-ended because of a '
scheme of man'. Not fun! Truth be told, it's maddening! It messes with your head and your heart until all you can do is cling to God and beg him for the grace to have your heart broken without becoming bitter at the injustice of it all!

I'm reminded of Joseph whose brothers' schemes caused him so much pain and trouble but who, after many years to process and to experience God's faithfulness to him, was able to say to his brothers when they re-entered his life 'I know you intended for what you did to hurt me, but God has done good to me through your actions. He meant to all along!' {Rachel's paraphrase ;o}.


I am so thankful that the same God is at work in my life!


I have a couple of sweet friends whose lives are changing shape right now because of the 'schemes of man' that God has allowed to impact them and those they love. Been praying for them a lot this past week! And maybe you are in a similar situation. If so, will you join me in celebrating this wonderful season of Christ's coming to break the power of sin & evil in our lives?


In Christ alone my hope is found,
He is my light, my strength, my song;
this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,
firm through the fiercest drought and storm.
What heights of love, what depths of peace,
when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.





.

No comments: