A small flame

A small flame

Shelter

.








Reposting this devotional today. I need this reminder in my struggle between faith's shelter and the storm of 'what ifs'!




Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge
. Psalm 16:1


What does it mean to take refuge in God? When I think about the word 'refuge', I think of a group of hikers huddled under an overhanging rock ledge to keep dry from a thunder storm. The rain pours down, the thunder & lightening crash so close to them, but they stay dry inside their little cave.

When I transfer this image to my life situations, I think so often I try to huddle under God's protection, while at the same time inviting the storm into my 'cave'. At these times my mind becomes my greatest enemy. I imagine possible scenarios that may or may not happen, I re-play situations or encounters and wonder {What will happen?} As these thoughts churn in my mind, the thunder crashes louder and the rain drenches me. In a very short time I am a distraught mess.

If I am to truly find refuge in God, I must consciously choose to focus my thoughts on him - his character, great things he has done for me, promises he has given in his word. I must evaluate every thought for its truthfulness and discard those that are only imaginary situations or are simply assumptions. As I constantly work to focus on God and on what I know to be true, I will be finding refuge in God. The storm of the situation may still be there. I may still see the rain and the lightening and hear the thunder close by, but I will not become soggy and fall apart.


"
I have set the Lord always before me; because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken." (Psalm 16:8)







.

No comments: