A small flame

A small flame

Down Memory Lane - Third Grade



This is the fifth post in a series of 12 posts scheduled by Mommy's Piggy Tales, which encourages women to record stories from their childhood for future generations to enjoy.


and then there were two



When I was almost 9, God gave me something I had begged and begged Him for. . . . .

First though, some background. I'm the oldest child in my family and my brothers are 3 and 5 years younger than me. I ached to have a sister! Often, when a little brother was getting into my stuff, I would
wail to Mom 'If I just had a sister! SHE wouldn't get into my stuff!'.







In the summer before I started third grade, my parents told us that in a few months we would be joined by another brother or a sister. I was thrilled . . . and terrified that I would get a third brother. For the next 9 months I begged God to please, please, please, please give me a sister. I thought that there must be a correspondence between how often and how hard I begged Him and whether or not He gave me what I prayed for, so I asked often and hard
. When the time came, my mama's sweet friend Mary arrived to stay with us while my parents drove up the road to the little hospital. I remember waiting all day on pins and needles, still praying for that sister. Finally, the phone rang and I got my answer.


I had a sister!





I wish I could say that it was all roses and rainbows after that, but I'm sure you wouldn't believe it. As thrilled as I was to get a sister, we were 9 years apart. When you're 10 and 1 years, or 14 and 5 years old, those nine years are a huge difference. We shared a room, but that's about all.





on my 13th birthday


Much to my mother's amusement - becau
se she loved reminding me about my earlier belief that a baby sister would be different from baby brothers - my little sister messed with my stuff. A lot. And I messed with her. I teased her, tormented her, and, when she was 9 I left her behind for college in the US.




on a trip back home to PNG my senior year of college -

- on our way to our favorite
deserted island for a day of swimming



We've both done a lot of growing up since then. At just over 6' tall, my 'baby' sister has long ago passed me by! And when you're 24 and 33, that age gap doesn't seem nearly as big.

Until recently I was so blessed to live just 45 minutes way from her, and we began to build the relationship we never had when we were growing up. I live nearly a thousand miles away from her now, and because she is preparing to work overseas, the miles between us are fixin' to grow much, much greater.





celebrating her graduation from college
earlier this year


B, I am so glad that, when I prayed for a sister, God sent you! I am so proud of the person you are and are becoming. Thanks for being my friend!






.

8 comments:

Gretchen said...

Sisters are the BEST!! How sweet that you prayed so hard for her. :)

MrsH said...

Aww, that's so great you two had the chance to live so closely together as adults. It is funny how the age-gap gets smaller the older we get!

coolestfamilyontheblock said...

How nice that God gave you the sister that you prayed for. Ug, I couldn't imagine having 3 little brothers!
My sister and I are only 13 months apart and we're not close at all. We love each other dearly but we don't have anything in common and are complete opposites. We've always fought horribly even up until about a year ago. We're finally starting to get along a little better. She drives me nuts...but I love her :)
I don't think the age difference matters as much as the differences in personality.

Laura T said...

What a lovely story! I'm glad you got your sister. I love my brother, but I would have loved to have a sister, too!

scrapbookeasy said...

I don't know what it's like to have a sister (2 younger brothers). I'm so glad you have such a wonderful relationship with her! Very nice story.

Mom2three said...

I loved your story! I'm so glad that you now have the chance to be acquainted as friends and to strength that bond.

Janna said...

Ahh! Gotta love sisters bonding and sharing a love for the Lord and each other.

I never got my sister but I love having a daughter.

Jessica said...

It is very encouraging to hear from families with age gaps between their children. My oldest is 8 now but I still want more babies.