10 Ways Every Christian can care for the Orphan and Waiting Child
1. Pray for them
- Tape a waiting child's picture to your dashboard and pray for the child every time you are in the car. Visit AdoptUsKids.org or RainbowKids.com
- Organize a prayer vigil at you church and pray for children in foster care or in an orphanage overseas
2. Speak up for them
- Carry a waiting child's picture and show it to other believers. Ask if they, or someone they know, would give this child a home
- Become a court-appointed special advocate for a child in foster care. Visit NationalCASA.org for details
3. Provide for their needs
- Give sacrificially to a reputable orphanage. Financial gifts can be designated for specific items and aid needed by orphans. Visit HelpOrphans.org for more information.
- Organize a drive in your church to collect school supplies for children in foster care or shoes for orphans overseas. Visit GainUSA.org or ShoesforOrphanSouls.org
4. Support those who support them
- Mow, babysit or organize meals for a week for foster parents. Pray with them and tell them you appreciate what they do.
- Encourage a family adopting an older child by hosting a shower for them.
5. Protect them from harm
- Become a foster parent or emergency foster parent.
- Raise money to build a children's home to help remove children from the streets. Visit WorldOrphans.org for details.
6. Visit them where they are
- Go on a mission trip to an orphanage as an individual or family. Visit GainUSA.org or HelpOrphans.org for information.
- Take dinner to a foster group-home on a regular basis.
7. Give sacrificially to them
- Support reputable orphan care organizations on an ongoing basis.
- Contribute generously to an adoptive family to help offset their costs. Visit ShaohannahsHope.org or LifeSongForOrphans.org
8. Encourage them to press on
- Sponsor a child, support them financially, and encourage them through your letters. Visit VisionTrust.org to learn more.
- Become a mentor or tutor to a teenager in a foster group-home.
9. Adopt them into your family
- Give a child a home through international, domestic, or foster care adoption.
- Adopt a young adult who has aged out of the foster care system.
10. Mobilize your church for them
- Be a catalyst on your church for starting a sustained orphan's ministry. Visit HopeForOrphans.org for resources and to learn more about Your Church and the Orphan Workshop.