A small flame

A small flame

The First Thing on the List

A religion that is pure and stainless
according to God the Father is this:
to take care of orphans and widows who are suffering,
and to keep oneself unstained by the world. James 1:27






Here's the question that I'm eating and sleeping in right now::


If true Godliness is taking care of widows and orphans in their distress
then how many truly Godly people do I know -

including the person I see in the mirror every day?



We love to preach the second half of that verse, don't we?
'Unstained from the world' is a pound-the-pulpit kind of phrase.


But 'look after fatherless children and widows in their time of trouble' ?
How many sermons have you heard on that one?




If religion that God accepts is to take care

of orphans and widows who are suffering

then how pleased is God with my religion?





What does it mean for me, as a daughter of God, to help widows and orphans when they suffer?



We . . . the no-longer-orphans . . . the adopted children of
the Father . . . the self-professing God lovers - shouldn't we be the ones fleshing out the Gospel this way?

The ones imitating our Abba?


Somehow, I don't think that James had a yearly Christmas shoe-box of goodies in mind . . . although I think the shoe boxes could be a part of a greater whole!



What do you think?

How's your widow-and-orphan loving?

How can I make mine better?

We're giving it lots of thought at our house and I'd love any input you care to give!


No comments: