A small flame

A small flame

Exultant Monotony






He finds me in the kitchen and grins, the way only a two-year-old can, while he holds his arms up.

'Spin me!'

We whirl and laugh.

And when the we stop and my world keeps spinning,
he is unfazed and squeals to 'do it again!'.

I shake my head and wonder. . . like I did the last time and the time before that. . . what would it take for him to say he'd had enough?


So, when Phil shares these words with me {he knows me so well to chose them for me}, the ideas make worshipful sense to this mama of 'do-it-again' boys :





"Because children have abounding vitality, because they are in spirit fierce and free, therefore they want things repeated and unchanged. They always say, "Do it again"; and the grown-up person does it again until he is nearly dead. For grown-up people are not strong enough to exult in monotony.

But perhaps God is strong enough to exult in monotony. It is possible that God says every morning, "Do it again" to the sun; and every evening, "Do it again" to the moon. It may not be automatic necessity that makes all daisies alike; it may be that God makes every daisy separately, but has never got tired of making them. It may be that He has the eternal appetite of infancy; for we have sinned and grown old, and our Father is younger
than we." — G.K. Chesterton





My Monday feels tired and old, but my Abba is eternal!

I see His exuberant repetition of beauty and grace as it weaves through my life,

and I add my own repetition: 'Thanks'



for baby soft skin on my barely-baby boy

for flowers blooming and more buds growing

for the way my husband loves me more now than he did 11 years ago

and that I love him more too { a gift I don't take for granted!}

for cricket-song-filled nights

and sunshine-soaked days

for routine to keep my world sane

and children to make it interesting

for always-there friends

for the Father's Words that never fail to comfort & instruct

for the way that He never stops providing
things to be thankful for



holy experience
*
*
*
*
*

1 comment:

laura said...

Exactly what I needed to read today!!! Thank you!!