A small flame

A small flame

Silencing the Condemnation Choir

*
*
*




You might not guess it if you looked at my messy house right now, but I'm a perfectionist. I set really high bars for myself.

And I rarely, I think, do anything 'right'.








You know those 'tapes' that play in your head sometimes? The negative stuff you say to yourself so often you barely realize you do it anymore? Well, I've got a whole choir in my head. The Condemnation Choir. The thoughts that remind me of how far below 'acceptable' I am.

Can you relate?







Right now our church is working on memorizing Romans chapter 8, one verse a week, which is totally do-able, even for me ;o)



This week we're doing verse 1. The perfect verse for perfectionists like me!

Therefore, there is now no condemnation
for those who are in Christ Jesus




What makes this verse seem so amazing to me is the words & phrases in the verses right before it:

. . . I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate . . .

. . . I know that nothing good dwells in me . . .

. . . I have the desire to do what is right, but not the ability to carry it out . . .

. . . I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I keep on doing. . .

. . . I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand . . .


. . . Wretch that I am!



Ah, the familiar voices of the Condemnation Choir!

I feel Paul's frustration at the core of my being as we each cry out the question::
Who will deliver me from this body of death?!







And, I wonder

did Paul feel the same wrenching of his heart?
The same awe at the Father's love

with the assurance:: there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ.


Really?

No condemnation?

After that catalog of frustration and failure?

No condemnation?



That's hard to wrap my mind around
as I flail perfection's whip at my spirit!



.



Not 'less condemnation'
Not 'well-disguised condemnation'
Not 'condemnation withdrawn if you { fill in the blank } '


No
condemnation

zip
zilch
zero
nada









My spirit relaxes into his love.

My soul finds rest.


Therefore, there is now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus.







*
*
*
*
Photos: beauty from our wedding anniversary trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway in Virginia : a 100-year-old cabin; hand-hewn cabin walls; the country store in Meadows of Dan, VA;
corn cob checkers at Mabry Mill; an old barn; catching the light
*
*
*
*
*

No comments: