A small flame

A small flame

I'm at it Again

Those of you who know me well may roll your eyes when I tell you that I've added another thing to my 'do it myself' list ;o),
but I am now making my own laundry soap.

I've been a bit curious about it for a while now, so when my sis-in-law made her own, I was really pleased. Now I actually know someone who does this. When she told me that she liked it, and how inexpensive it was, I was hooked.

It's super easy and quick to make - seriously, 15-20 minutes from start to finish!


There are only 3 ingredients (plus water),
and only a bit of each ingredient is used,
so once you buy a box of each ingredient, you'll be set for a loong time.

Cost-wise, it's waay cheaper: about 2 cents per load.
Compare this to the 15 cents per load I was paying for the laundry soap I have been buying.

I use a pretty basic recipe (found here), but I only make 1/2 a batch at a time because I don't have room to store a larger container of it. What I make fits into a 5-quart ice cream pail and lasts me for around 30 loads.

You can just use your every-day kitchen equipment to make this and wash it up afterwards.



SOAP: I use Ivory soap - 1/2 a bar .



Grate this up.
I was surprised the first time at how easily this grated. Such pretty white curls ;o)



Put the soap in a pan, along with 3 cups of water.



Heat & stir on a medium heat to dissolve the soap.





When the soap curls have dissolved, stir in 1/4 cup each of Washing Soda and Borax.



Washing Soda is sodium carbonate - not to be confused with Baking Soda (sodium bicarbonate). If you can't find this at Walmart or Target, check hardware stores. I found mine at Ace Hardware.




Pour 2 cups of hot water into your bucket or storage container.
Then add the soap mixture & stir well.

Add 11 more cups of water - yep, lots of water in this recipe.

OPTIONAL - if you want it scented, you can also add essential oil of your choice. I'm a bit sensitive to scents, so I didn't add any scent. My soap just smells clean and soapy.



Let the mixture sit for a few hours - mine sets up within 2-3 hours - and it becomes a watery jello type consistency.


That's it!

Easy, huh?


Just use 1/2 cup of the soap for a large load - I keep an old measuring cup with my bucket.


This is a low-suds soap. I don't usually see any bubbles in the washer. That doesn't matter since the cleaning is done by the soap ingredients, not the bubbles.

4 comments:

Karen said...

So the washing comes out just as clean? How does it feel? It doesn't make it feel stiff at all, does it?

Rachel said...

Yes. It's clean. . . and you know how dirty my boys can make their clothes ;o) The clothes don't feel or look any different than when I was using store-bought soap.

Now, I never add fabric softener in my laundry, so if you're used to that, I'm not sure if you'd notice a difference.

Melissa also makes her own, so you could ask her as well.

Donette said...

Hmmm . . . I might have to try this. Of course, right now I have 4 bottles of laundry detergent because they were on sale and I had a coupon. But when they are gone, this is a real possibility . . .

sarah said...

My sister has been telling me about this! I want to to do it too! She was just making hers and is going to let me know what she thinks, but I'm glad to get your opinion too!