A small flame

A small flame

Hope Unchanged

The Lord has been so faithful to us through the events of this past year! Although He has graced us with much healing, some of the wounds are so deep that I know we will be in the healing process for a long, long time. I wish it weren't that way. I'd love to not carry the wounds that I do. Sometimes I'll be doing really well, and then something will happen. Often it's just some little, insignificant thing that takes my by surprise as it rips wounds open and the hurt wells up again. Some times I'm just so tired of hurting.

This past weekend, Phil & I got to attend a performance of the Make it Matter tour. As a whole, we really enjoyed the concert. I loved hearing live performances of a couple of the songs that have been precious in my life over the past year. I also heard (or, maybe noticed) for the first time a couple of songs that spoke to all that my heart has endured. One of these songs was Our Hope Remains by Natalie Grant. I love the phrase "our hope endures the worst of conditions - it's more than our optimism". Sometimes there really isn't much to see in a situation that's optimistic. It's hard to be optimistic when you're hurting so deeply. But my hope is in God. No matter how deeply life wounds me, because of Him, my hope can endure.

Our Hope Endures

You would think only so much can go wrong

Calamity only strikes once
And you assume that this one has suffered her share
Life will be kinder from here

Sometimes the sun stays hidden for years
Sometimes the sky rains night after night
When will it clear
But our hope endures the worst of conditions
It's more than our optimism
Let the earth quake
Our hope is unchanged

How do we comprehend peace within pain
Our joy at a good man's wake
Walk a mile with a woman whose body is torn
With illness but she marches on

Sometimes the sun stays hidden for years
Sometimes the sky rains night after night
When will it clear
But our hope endures the worst of conditions
It's more than our optimism
Let the earth quake
Our hope is unchanged

Emanuel, God is with us
El Shaddai, all sufficient
Emanuel, God is with us
El Shaddai, all sufficient
Emanuel, God is with us
El Shaddai, all sufficient

We never walk alone
This is our hope
Our hope endures, the worst of conditions
It's more than our optimism
let the earth quake
let the earth quake
let the earth quake
Our hope is unchanged

No comments: